Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'm in love with a Fairy Tale

On the last ride home it was time to kill some time, and my daughter's made up songs about whatever crosses her field of vision were getting monotonous. Not to thwart her creative instinct, I suggested she tell us a story. She didn't know what I meant, so I told her:

One day you and your sister were playing outside and a stranger offered you some candy. You agreed without asking me or Mama. He took you into the woods for the candy. You had a sandwich that I made you and every few yards you tossed a crumb of the sandwich on the ground. After a while you were in the middle of the woods and the stranger said you'll never go home again. Then he took a nap, and because you'd left a trail with my sandwich you found your way home.

See, I said, now you tell a story, I said to my daughter. Here's her story:

One day somebody offered us some candy and we went to ask you and Mama if we can take it.

Clever girl.

No comments: